The committee [sic] recommends “interim or provisional status to Gilgit-Baltistan with right of vote and representation in Parliament of Pakistan” as best possible option. For this purpose, necessary legislation and amendment in 1973 Constitution can be made, as permissible vide para 1 (2) (d) of the Constitution of Pakistan 1973. Since representation in the National Assembly is based on population ratio, conveniently three elected representatives, one each for three divisions, i.e. Gilgit, Baltistan and Diamer respectively. While one women seat can be kept for Gilgit Baltistan. For representation in the Senate of Pakistan, Gilgit-Baltistan may be considered as an interim federating unit with due recognition and representation as in case of other federating units. Pakistan can justify itsstance, asIndia has already extended its constitutional jurisdiction to the part of Jammu and Kashmir under its administrative control, including Laddakh region. Moreover, Kashmir issue also remains unhurt due to interim nature of the provision.
1) Extension of bench of Supreme Court of Pakistan, bringing GB under wider judicial umbrella.
2) Establishment of institutions like office of Provincial Public Service Commission, Provincial Ombudsman, office of Provincial Consolidated Fund, etc, as permissible under the Constitution of Pakistan 1973.
3) Due representation of GB in NFC award and other national level forums, having representation of federating units.
4) Determination of due share / royalty of projects of national magnitude, like Diamer Basha Dam, Bunji hydel project and mineral, tourism and water resources.
5) Safeguarding economic interests of GB in Pak-China Economic Corridor project.
The committee comprised of Brig (r) Hissamullah Baig, Professor Usman Ali, Sherbaz Barcha, AIG (r) Dilpazir, Col (r) Imtiaz SI(M), Qasim Naseem and Israruddin Israr. The report is available at the link below.
May 18, 2017 0The following two tabs change content below.BioLatest Posts...
May 03, 2017 Comments Off on My journey to the heaven … and backThe following two tabs change content below.BioLatest Posts...