The Regional GLOF Risk Reduction Project, funded by DIPECHO and UNDP’s Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (BCPR), aims to address the risks posed by GLOFs in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) region comprising India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bhutan through strengthening non-structural and community-based approaches. The activities updates for the month of September 2008 is given below:
- Shared district consultation findings with members of the Core Working Group and various stakeholders to obtain their feedback and input on the findings of the consultation meeting.
- Worked on coordination for the national DRM conference.
- Integrated GLOF Project in DRM training plan for NWFP and NAs to share information on the project and its findings with the stakeholders from the vulnerable districts. Activities to raise awareness among the government, academic institutions, civil society and development community about climate change and GLOF related issues initiated.
- Preparing and coordinating for the DRR trainings under the project especially focusing on risk mitigation measures and preparedness at community level.
- Interaction with WWF, Pakistan for securing their support in implementation of the risk mitigation and preparedness activities at community level, especially on issues emerging from the desk review of relevant materials, interaction with community, local administration and other stakeholders.
- Finalization of IEC materials, their designing and printing to be used during community level activities for GLOF risk awareness and visibility.
- In order to secure country-level participation in e-discussion under the project, interaction held with various stakeholders and e-discussion networks like Knowledge Network for Climate Change and Pamir Times.
- Held interaction with DG, Ministry of Environment on the regional GLOF project for sharing findings and working on developing a joint project proposal for GLOF vulnerable communities.
Download full Regional Report: monthly-update-sept08