The current government of Pakistan has announced that a “comprehensive constitutional package” is being announced for the Gilgit – Baltistan region, officially known as Northern Areas of Pakistan. The proposed package has been presented as a panacea for some of the major deprivations of our region.
According to press reports a major part of the package would focus on “sturctural adjustments” in the administrative setup, like;
Creation of Azad Kashmir like government setup
Autonomous elected legislative body
Ministrial titles, perks and previleges for the ‘advisors’
Increase in the annual budget
Sungi Development Foundation and Pamir Times have joined hands to organize an online discussion on what the general public of the region think about the proposed constitutional package, or what changes would they like to see in the political setup of the region. What ever decision the Federal government is going to take we believe that there should be a participatory approach by government to include voices of the local communities to get to know what there demands are. No any constitutional package neither any administrative arrangement can be successful without consulting the local communities.
We urge all of you to participate in the discussion so that we can propose any suggestions about the real demands of the people of Gilgit-Baltistan region. We have to raise our voices and make our demands clear so we can put up concrete demands in front of the Government. We, people of the region, are equally responsible and accountable to take this issue seroiusly and contribute in whatever form we can, for the development of our region. We need to act timely so that no body including goverment can expolite us through any cosmeticc arrangments.
- Statement by KANA minister
- An earlier Constitutional Package
- Reforms Plan “an eyewash” by Farman Ali
- Discord in Pakistan’s Northern Areas, a comprehensive report by International Crisis Group.
- From colonolianism to post colonolianism: changing modes od domination in the Northern Areas of Pakistan, FCTPC, Martin Sokefeld
- Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, Constitutional Status of Northern Areas undefined
- Northern Areas: an illusion of autonomy, by Aziz Ali Dad
- Status of Northern Areas (An article by Afzal Shigri, a retired bureaucrat)
- Justice for the Northern Areas (by M Ismail Khan)
- Constitutional Drawbacks (by Tariq Hassan)
- Tribal and Northern Areas of Pakistan: Case of Constitutional Neglect, presentation by Dr Tariq Hassan
- Indian connection in Northern Areas, by Rehan Nawaz, Pakistan Observer