Regional GLOFs risk reduction in the Himalayas initiative: update for June, 2008
by: Amber Masud
The Regional GLOF Risk Reduction Project, funded by DIPECHO and UNDP’s Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (BCPR), aims to address the risks posed by GLOFs in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) region comprising India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bhutan through strengthening non-structural and community-based approaches. The updates for Pakistan components are given below:
- The process for preparing the Preparatory Assessment Report has been initiated with compilation of information through desk review of various sources and available documents. Interactions have been held with National Agriculture Research Council (NARC) for supporting the field study. Inputs/observations made during the field visit are being factored into the Report.
- The Questionnaire and TOR for the field study and interaction with communities and local administration and other stakeholders have been finalized.
- During end-May and early-June, some incidents of GLOFs had taken place in Northern Areas particularly in Ghulkin glacier in the Hunza River basin. The Project Support Officer visited the affected areas to study the situation, interact with local administration and communities and to network with agencies/humanitarian agencies working in the area. Efforts are being made to establish closer coordination with FOCUS Humanitarian Assistance and other NGOs working in the area.
- The Project components, objectives and activities were explained at two separate workshops/panel discussions on Climate Change organized by Water Resource Research Institute (WRRI), National Agriculture Research Council (NARC) and Leadership in Environment and Development (LEAD), respectively. The Project was presented as a good example for efforts to mitigate the impacts of climate change on mountain communities. These interactions were attended by scientists, experts and environmentalists, some of whom are being consulted for enhancing the effectiveness of project activities.
- The National DRR Advisor, UNDP participated in a panel discussion on climate change on HUM Television with participants from IUCN, WWF-P and the Chairman of Standing Committee for Environment in Northern Areas and referred to the project activities in detail. The participation of leading organizations, politicians and policy makers helped focus attention on the threat posed by GLOFs and helped enhance the visibility of the project and supporting organization viz. DIPECHO.
For regional details click for the report: monthly_update-june081