Sun. Nov 28th, 2021

19 billion rupees budget presented in GBLA

A table summarizing the distribution of GB's budget. (Figures: Radio Pakistan)

Our Correspondents
Gilgit: Finance Minister, Muhammad Ali Akhtar, presented GB’s budget for 2012-13 today at a specially convened budget session. The total budget outlay is around 19 billion rupees, less than half of which will be spent on development projects, while the rest will be used to cover the cost of governance and other non-developmental expenses.36 Crore rupees, 5%, have been allocated for education and 25 Crore for health.

Details of sector-wise allocation are given in the table appended below.

More than 1 billion rupees will be distributed among the GBLA members as part of the Chief Minister’s Special Package.

The budget allocation for non-development activities, including maintenance of law and order, payment of salaries and other expenses is more than 50% of the total budget.

Employees

Employees of the GB government, however, will be relieved to get a 20% raise in their salaries along with other perks and privileges.

A table summarizing the distribution of GB’s budget. (Figures: Radio Pakistan)

Old and new projects

80 % of the budget will be used to finance projects already in progress while the remaining 20 % will be used for new projects.

District-wise distribution of development funds

The Finance Minister said that 30% of the total development budget will be used for GB level projects. The remaining 70% will be distributed among the 7 districts, based on population. This way, the district of Skardu will get 25% of the development project (97 crore), Gilgit will get 17% (66 crore), Diamer 15 % (58 crore), Ghizar 14$ (54 crore), Hunza – Nagar 11% (42 crore), Ghanche 10% (38 crore) and Astore will get 8% (31 crore), in terms of district level development projects.

The issue

With no significant revenue collection mechanism of its own, the GB government has little control over the amount of money received or the time of receipt of the promised budget from the Federal Government. The money is, generally, shared in bits and pieces, leading to hurdles in completion of development projects. In the recent past the GB government has been seen taking loans from the State Bank of Pakistan for covering its expenses.

Short Comings

The budget fails to make significant allocations for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). The amount allocated for health and education is also not significant, compared to the allocation for non-developmental expenses.


6 thoughts on “19 billion rupees budget presented in GBLA

  1. Thanks to Pamirtimes for reflecting reader friendly table. what a sad picture, 11 billion for non development and 8 billion for development.

    I guess we need to redefine what is development and what is not! I wonder if the CM’s package include DRR, women and environment and allocations for local development organizations!

  2. health and education are the most important dimensions for a quality life style but once again we are ignoring them and allocating such a meagre amount for them. and as for the population wise distribution of the budget, i don’t get it how can be it be just to areas with relatively less population and a need for greater developmental and infrastructural projects like power, roads, hospitals and and schools etc. and there is no mention of tourism budget besides disaster management. having said all that, i still believe that we can still make a difference if even this allocated amount is spent honestly.one more thing, since the report says GB does’nt have any revenues of its own, what about the millions of Rs. earned from the sost dry port? even though i understand it has been pretty dormant after the attabad disaster. and what about the money the federal government earns in terms of permits or whatever they call it from expeditions coming to pakistan for climbing K2 and other peaks???

  3. At Last the budget for 2012-13 has been presented in the Legislative Assembly. It depicts a situation which needs some deliberations; firstly the division of budgetary pool into development and non-development categories. It is interesting to note that GB government has earmarked 8 billion rupees for development sector whereas 11 billion rupees have been allocated for non-development sector. Secondly, only time can tell at the end of this year what a good use of the allocated public money specifically in the category of development has been made by the elected members if we keep our respective minds the past progress of the incumbent PPP government. It must be borne in mind that the existing government has to decide between the welfare and development of the messes and their own development. It seems that for last 3 years the incumbent government has done noting worthwhile to alleviate the sufferings of the common folks. People are of the view that the performance of the existing government in GB for the past 3 years is pitiable. However, still there is a hope. The existing government can come out clean if it revise its strategies and focus its attention for the general wellbeing of the people of Gilgit-Baltistan.

  4. The GB budget is not much different from that of national or any other province/unit. Many reasons, its always alms thrown to us that constitute our budget, and not own resources, thus simply filling-up of the previous proforma, and not a dynamic document that should base on future requirements of the residents of the region. Distribution of alms within sectors is not an option the receivers/beggers can opt, but its a compulsion hence, one should understand the limitations of the (so-called)leadership. The steller growth in resource transfer to security and related (its an emreging industry/sector) is beyond the imagination of a straightforward human being, who has been taught to be dependant on nature (and blaming his/her qismat). We need to recall Iqbal’s (RA) universal message:
    “Mere Pukhta eradey khud meri taqdeer badleinggay
    Meri qismat nahi mohtaj haatoon ki lakiroon ki”

  5. Why does GB not generate it’s own resources and levy tax on business?.

  6. in the past decade growth of gilgit baltistan especially gilgit city has been many manifolds,,,,with induction of technology , facilities a number of problems associated with a turning metropolis are there to be addresed by none other than its inhabitants in particular & leaders in general ,,,,, a concerted effort is required by all to plan cities its development progress to avoid any future problems……v nst utilize our resourced to optimum level for prosperity of region ….otherwise sufferes will b our generation and our upcoming youth,

Comments are closed.

Instagram did not return a 200.