Gilgit, April 7: Several shops, 25 according to one count, were gutted by a huge blaze in the Jutial Bus Stand area of Gilgit city Sunday night. The fire, reportedly caused by a short circuit, spread fast because majority of the shops in the area were housed in wooden cabins. A number of hotels located in the area were also damaged by the fire.
A vehicle of Fire Brigade and another of Rescue 1122 reached the site after the fire had already gutted most of the wooden cabins. Later, the Fire Brigade’s vehicle had to stop work after leaving to fetch water.
Efforts to control the fire continued till late night.
The shop owners and other businessmen lost goods and property worth millions of rupees within one hour.