Faced with political and constitutional limbo, Gilgit – Baltistan has a special place in the world community. The region’s unique cultural and natural heritage remains under developed and under utilized, mainly because of absence of an enabling governance mechanism.
The 63 years of political and constitutional deprivation have resulted in a social stagnation that leads to violation of globally accepted Human Rights.
Pamir Times has started a series of 06 posts in which we will highlight the 30 articles of the Universal Human Rights Declaration (UHRD).
In this first post of the weekly series we are putting the first 5 articles of the UHRD for awareness and contextual discussion.
- All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
- Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
- Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
- No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
- No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
Five more articles of the Universal Human Rights Declaration will be published on next Friday.
Are these articles applicable in our region?