Gulmit, February 15: The Assistant Commissioner of Hunza has said that the contractor responsible for construction of a wooden bridge between Shishkat and Gulmit will not be paid, because “he had not worked according to the plan”. He made the statement today while visiting the site of the collapsed bridge along with relevant officials.
PWD official present at the occasion said that the region is not suitable for construction of another bridge.
The bridge had been inaugurated on 31st December 2013 and it tilted dangerously six days after its inauguration. The bridge completely collapsed yesterday, leaving the two villages disconnected.
There are reports that the contractor had claimed up to 1.5 million rupees for construction of the bridge. However, this could not be verified from official sources.