Over-land access to Gojal Valley has become impossible due to the constant rise in water level of the disaster dam formed on Hunza river. Serious steps are required to avert human crisis in the region, that might result due to lack of fuel, medicines and, in the future, food supplies.
Some of the possible actions under discussion at various levels within the public circles are:
1. Continuation of the helicopter service to transport people and fuel on priority basis. This method is more expensive and not going to last long
2. Opening up the Khunjrav – China route for transporting the required items. Pakistani C – 130 planes can drop people and goods in Kashghar and then the goods can be transported through containers to Gojal valley
3. PIA can start subsidized flights between Gilgit & Kashghar to commute ordinary citizens and traders
4. The old air strip in Passu is brought into working condition and small planes are allowed to use it for transporting goods and people
5. Powerful Motor engine boats can be used to move upstream on the lake formed on Hunza river
6. Fuel and other essentials can be airlifted and dropped at designated places, for distribution to retailers and government depots
If you can think of any other option, let’s discuss.