Aliabad, September 24: Fire has erupted at a local market in Aliabad, Hunza, gutting several shops housed in wooden cabins, along with a restaurant.
According to initial details, the fire eruption was caused by the explosion of a Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinder in the “Lahori Hotel”, located in the main Aliabad market, in the vicinity of Jubilee Restaurant.
There are no reports about any injuries or casualties.
Rescue officials could not reach the site on time. The Hunza-Nagar has been going through an administrative paralysis for the last several years because of the inability of the public representatives to declare a headquarters for the region. The administration offices are poorly staffed and equipped and unable to respond to the growing needs and demands of the people.
Local people, including members of the Ismaili Boy Scouts group and volunteers trained by Focus Humanitarian Assistance Pakistan put great efforts to control the fire from spreading to the markets located in the vicinity.
Meanwhile, Rehman Shah, a government official has informed Pamir Times that the local magistrate has reached the spot along with Levis officials and that they are busy in controlling the fire.
Local people lampooned the elected leaders and administration officials for failing to establish fire fighting capacity in the region, despite of high-sounding promises of making the region a “model of development”.