GILGIT, Nov 16: The PML-N on Monday put off its announced strike to protest poll results after negotiations with the administration of the region, saying they would fight their case in tribunals to be set up shortly, party leaders disclosed.
“We have been assured that tribunals would be set up within three months for speedy disposal of election related petitions”, said Hafiz-ur-Rehman, president of PML-N, while talking to journalists.However, PML-Q said it had accepted the results, claiming it wanted to demonstrate that it was the ‘largest’ democratic party.
“Our accepting poll results does not mean that the elections were fair and transparent” Marvi Memon, in-charge of the party in Gilgit-Baltistan, told reporters.
She also mentioned that she had submitted some privilege motions in the national assembly against some federal ministers belonging to PPP for taking part in election campaign.
Meanwhile, the administration tightened security in Gilgit, capital town of the region, as law-enforcement agencies patrolled the city on Monday.
Section 144 was imposed in Skardu and Ghanche districts and all kinds of public gatherings were banned to avoid any untoward incident, administration sources said.
The election commission did not issue any schedule to hold reelection in some polling stations of LA-17 Diamer-III where polling was postponed after two groups clashed in a polling station resulting in killing of two persons, while reelection would be held on four polling stations in LA-3, Gilgit-III.
Meanwhile, the MQM candidate Cap (retd) Hadi Hussain and Salahuddin Gilgiti, announced to boycott the reelection and appealed to the people to stay away from taking part in re-polling in LA-3, Gilgit-III. They were addressing a press conference on Monday.
Mr Gilgiti alleged that worst rigging was done in LA-3 and other constituencies during the elections for Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly. He said that shortly a future course of action would be announced in this regard and all legal and constitutional means would be followed.
HUNZA-NAGAR: The headquarters of the newly-established Hunza-Nagar district will be decided by the provincial government in consultation with the elected representatives of the two valleys.
This was stated by the first Deputy Commissioner of Hunza-Nagar district, Zafar Waqar Taj, while talking to Dawn here, the other day, after assuming the charge of his office.
The deputy commissioner and superintendent of police took charge of their offices, last week.
Mr Taj, who is also a noted poet, and Mansoor Khan, Superintendent of Police, will set up temporarily their offices in the government rest house, Karimabad.
Talking to a delegation of All Hunza Union Councillors and other notables recently, they said with the passage of time all relevant departments would establish their offices in Hunza-Nagar. [DAWN]